Just wait by the stop and see if anything comes along.

Monday, January 18

Despite my efforts, following up the diversionary anecdotes with a few chapters from one of my Christmas books, last night was still largely sleepless. After waking for the third time and deciding it was safe to look at the clock because, by now, it must be at least five, what I actually saw was the crushingly predictable glow of "three-thirty".

I should have got up and done a productive thing such as, for example, knitting an iPod cover. I didn't. I stayed where I was, grimly determined not to let my thoughts get the better of me.

And in almost no time at all it was "three-thirty-nine"

It's not going to happen again tonight. I'm
more than ready for it.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh the dreaded glowing clock of, erm, doom.

    Yeah I've put my clock at such an awkward angle that I'd pretty much have to fall out of bed to see it, meaning I'd then have worse problems to deal with than it being too early.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week was my sleep less week. This week, it's over-sleep, or over-stay-in-bed - which is more of a concern.

    iPods and sleep... I have a really old episode of 'From Our Own Correspondent' that I find oddly relaxing (given its content), and two R4 documentary series - one on Iran and the West, one on what became of the KGB - that I generally refer to when struggling to sleep. It's not an approach that I would confidently recommend others adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Joe - doesn't it drive you crazy not knowing whether it's three minutes before your alarm is due to go off or three hours?? The wondering-what-time-it-is-but-not-actually-looking has kept me awake many times.

    Shane - But doesn't the need to know what became of the KGB in the end stop you from drifting off....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good challenge... thing is, we get to hear what became of the KGB at the very beginning of each episode... they now run Russia, and are not very nice to their neighbours.

    It used to be episodes of Yes, (Prime) Minister that I feel asleep to - I knew the first half of each episode off by heart. Their endings, I never heard.

    ReplyDelete

I would appreciate it if you did...I really am quite needy